Police in Connecticut say a woman removed her face mask and spit in another shopper’s face after he flouted social distancing measures aimed at slowing the spread of the coronavirus.
Martine Shanchuk told officers she “felt it necessary” during her visit to a Big Y store in Newtown on May 18 to “enforce” its aisle rules herself after a young man started walking the wrong way down a one-way zone, according to a Newtown Police Department report obtained by HuffPost.
When the unidentified man refused to turn around, Shanchuk allegedly “stopped in the aisle to prevent him from continuing down the aisle in the wrong direction,” said police.
Shanchuk “continued to yell at the other individual in the store and that because he was not listening to her she removed her face mask and spit in the males face,” police determined.
Police arrested and charged Shanchuk with one misdemeanor count of second-degree breach of peace, which could carry a six-month jail sentence. She will appear in court on July 7.
- Stay up to date with our live blog as we cover the COVID-19 pandemic
- 7 essential pieces of relationship advice for couples in quarantine
- What you need to know about face masks right now
- How to tell if you need to start doing online therapy
- Lost your job due to coronavirus? Here’s what you need to know.
- Parenting during the coronavirus crisis?
- The HuffPost guide to working from home
- What coronavirus questions are on your mind right now? We want to help you find answers.
Everyone deserves accurate information about COVID-19. Support journalism without a paywall — and keep it free for everyone — by becoming a HuffPost member today.